Doctoral Consortium (CfP 2017)
The EC-TEL Doctoral Consortium, planned just before the EC-TEL conference, will take place on the 13th of September 2017. The Doctoral Consortium brings together Ph.D. researchers working on topics related to Technology Enhanced Learning providing them with an exceptional opportunity to present, discuss, and receive feedback on their research in an interdisciplinary and international atmosphere. Prominent professors and researchers in the field of Technology Enhanced Learning will provide formative feedback to the selected papers through the review process and contribute actively to discussions at the workshop.
The intention of this doctoral consortium is to support and inspire you, as a Ph.D researcher, during your ongoing research efforts. Therefore, it is necessary that authors will have neither achieved their Ph.D. degree nor officially submitted their thesis before the doctoral consortium (September 2017). To enforce this rule we require authors to disclose their expected graduation date and their advisor's name when submitting.
Doctoral Consortium Eligibility and Application Process
The doctoral work should comply with the topics addressed in the EC-TEL conference, as this supports finding feasible reviewers. In contrast to regular conference papers, submissions should address specifically doctoral work.
Therefore, the following elements have to be addressed in the papers:
- A clear formulation of the research question.
- An identification of the significant problems in the field of research.
- An outline of the current knowledge of the problem domain, as well as the state of existing solutions.
- A presentation of any preliminary ideas, the proposed approach and the results achieved so far.
- A sketch of the applied research methodology.
- A description of the Ph.D. project's contribution to the problem solution.
- A discussion of how the suggested solution is different, new, or better as compared to existing approaches to the problem.
The length of DC submissions should not exceed 6 pages. Students are kindly requested to make use of the supplied Springer template: http://www.stage.sgw.springer.com/computer/lncs?SGWID=0-164-6-793341-0
Papers accepted to the Doctoral Consortium will be eligible for publication in CEUR Workshop proceedings: http://ceur-ws.org/.
In a separate sheet include:
- A statement of the particular issues/problems in your dissertation, research areas that you want to discuss, types of feedback that might be particularly useful,
- A list of members of the ECTEL 2017 Program Committee who you think would be able to provide a particularly useful perspective or feedback on your work,
- A letter of recommendation from your dissertation supervisor/advisor. It should include an assessment of the current status of your work, and an expected date for dissertation completion.
Accepted students should prepare:
- An introduction of themselves and their Ph.D. project for the introductory session. Duration: 60 seconds max.
- A 15 minute presentation of their Ph.D. project to be used for introducing discussion about their project and its main issues during the small group sessions.
- Students are also invited to prepare a poster about their Ph.D. for the EC-TEL 2017 poster session.
Submissions should be uploaded to: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=dc-ectel2017
All submissions will be reviewed after acceptance by at least three senior researchers and two of the accepted doctoral candidates. We will do our utmost to match reviewers and PhD’s, however this will not always be possible due to practical limitations. Additionally, discussants, members of the doctoral consortium committee, will be appointed to each paper; they will provide commentary during the plenary and during focused breakout sessions. At the end of the consortium there will be a general discussion, including a brainstorming session about current and future research topics in the area.
Doctoral Consortium Dates:
- 23 May 2017 - Doctoral Consortium application submission deadline
- 20 June 2017 - Doctoral Consortium notification of acceptance to the workshop
- 30 July 2017 - Doctoral Consortium formative reviews
- 29 August 2017 - Doctoral Consortium camera-ready versions
- 13 September 2017 - Doctoral Consortium